About Our Process
KPR serves the states of Kentucky and Indiana. Permit No. P11-001005. If you are outside of those states, please visit www.petfinder.org.
The first step in the adoption process is submitting an adoption application. The information you provide enables our volunteers to match a Pug to you and your family. Please answer all of the questions on the application as best you can.
Please do not expect to submit an application and be able to pick up a Pug immediately. We make every effort to hurry the process along, but please remember that KPR is run by volunteers with families and jobs. We receive hundreds of applications, and are busy caring for, transporting and rescuing the Pugs that need us. Your patience is appreciated. Thank you!
If you have submitted an application and have questions regarding the status, please feel free to contact us.
- 11 months and under - $325
- Under 6 years old - $275
- 6 years and older - $225
- Service Area: Applications are accepted from Kentucky and Indiana ONLY.
- Age: You must be 18 years of age or older to be considered as an applicant.
- Response Time: Please understand that KPR is run by a group of volunteers with families and jobs. Rescuing, caring for and transporting Pugs takes up a majority of our volunteers' time. Therefore, it may take up to 2 weeks for your application to be processed and for you to receive a reply. We appreciate your patience.
- Reference Checks: No application is considered complete unless it contains both a veterinary reference, as well as 3 personal references (preferably not relatives). We do follow up on these, and you should alert your personal references as well as your veterinary reference that they will receive a phone call from us. You must contact your veterinary office to give them permission to discuss your current pets with Kentuckiana Pug Rescue. Reference checks will be completed BEFORE scheduling a home check
- Unaltered Pets: We do NOT adopt to anyone who has any pets in their home that are not neutered or spayed. We have very strong feelings about the pet overpopulation and feel that all pets should be spayed and neutered to prevent overpopulation problems.
- Vaccinations: All current pets must be up to date on ALL vaccinations.
- RENTERS: We will allow people who are renting to adopt. However, if you are renting, we do need a handwritten agreement from your landlord, stating that you have permission to have a dog in your apartment or house. This will need to be sent within one week of your online application submission. Please send to: PO Box 2773, Indianapolis, IN 46206.
- Home Check: No Pug is adopted to a home without a home check... no exceptions. If we do not have a volunteer in your area, we will ask you to help locate another rescue or shelter that is able to do your home check portion of the adoption process for us.
- Meeting a Pug: Kentuckiana Pug Rescue works to match each applicant with the "perfect" Pug. We can only do this through completed applications, phone calls, and home checks.
- Adoption: Adoption donations are based on the age of the Pug. We also have a legal and binding adoption contract which must be signed and followed.
- Bounced checks: There will be a $35 fee charged for a bounced check. You would then have to pay with cash, credit card, or money order If you were not able to pay the adoption fee with one of these methods, you will be required to return the dog to Kentuckiana Pug Rescue, along with the fee for the bounced check.
- Follow-Ups: After adoption, expect to be contacted by a volunteer to check on the adjustment of the Pug in his/her new home. We are available to answer ANY questions that you may have.
You may fill out an Adoption Application using one of the following methods
- Submit KENTUCKY Online Adoption Application
- Submit INDIANA Online Adoption Application
- Mail-in Adoption Application
Adobe Reader is required to open and print the Mail-in Application. If do not have Adobe Reader, it is available for free download.